It is not a successor of any existing or existed distributions based on illumos or OpenSolaris. Dyson is constructed from scratch to be like Debian as much as possible. Namely, most of Debian packages can be built on Dyson without any changes, and arch-independent packages (arch
all in Debian terms) can be installed directly as is.
- General-purpose operating system with OpenSolaris kernel (for desktops and servers)
- Port GNU GLibc
- Official Debian port
Hijack illumos mainstream.
For downloading and using Dyson consider using the mirrors.
VCS repositories are available for anonymous read-only access:
- https://cgit.osdyson.org - Git repositories. Almost all development happens here.
- http://bzr.osdyson.org - Bazaar repositories (deprecated, being phased out). A few important packages ported from Debian.
Debian patch tracker: https://patches.osdyson.org/
If the APT repository cannot be verified due to missed public key (The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY),
get current singing key located at https://apt.osdyson.org/dyson.asc and use "
apt-key" to add the key manually.
This key is usually automatically installed with the "
https://lists.osdyson.org/listinfo/dyson-devel - development of Dyson, technical topics, packaging, porting Debian packages, porting software to illumos.
Try it. Report issues and wishes. Feel free to email to email@example.com.
Port Debian packages and various software to Dyson. Send patches to upstream and/or Debian package maintainers. Ideally any Debian package should need no more than a simple rebuild. See Porting guide.
See https://www.osdyson.org/issues to find out if you can help with an advise or coding.
Things to be done:
get X stack, X server should work;. get Java stack; haskell; mono C#; Free Pascal;
- bootstrap and port nixpkgs ;
- get zones;
- package Kernel Virtual Machine (kvm) and Qemu;
- cross-compiling Debian (Linux) to Dyson;
- port libusb #158;
full support for SMF, including restart on upgrade;
- get GNU-toolchain-friendly dtrace;
- switch to GRUB2 and be more friendly (= co-installable) with other systems;
- reading and writing linux filesystems (ext2/3/4, FUSE);
- port Glibc;
- port Debian Installer.